Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Destination Sydney: Australia Day

My first day in Sydney was Australia Day.  I guess I haven't ever spent Fourth of July in DC or NYC so I don't know what that,s like.  But Sydney for Australia Day was probably one of the best times I could have chosen to visit.  The other one I can think of is apparently Boxing Day when the fleet for the Sydney to Hobart Race gets under way and sails out of the harbor entrance.


I arrived in Sydney before noon and went to the hostel to drop off my bags and such.  I then made my way up to Circular Quay.  Set between the Opera House and the Bridge, Circular Quay is where the ferries come to shore as well as at least one cruise ship while I was there.  I stayed there for a couple of hours that day, listening to the 21 gun salute at noon and watching the RAAF F/A 18 fly over.  I also began taking an acceptably unreasonable number of pictures of the two land marks. 

Later on in the week I would return to Circular Quay at night to watch the Australian Open mens semis and the girls final.  Also in the Quay and the nearby Rocks district was a bunch of stages with different music acts playing through out the day.

After my first stint at Circular Quay, I wandered back towards the hostel and to Darling Harbor.  Darling Harbor is home to the Sydney Aquarium, the Maritime Museum, a restaurant strip and a few other attractions.  For Australia day, there was a stage out on the water with some dancers when I walked by.  They were also moving the fireworks barges into place for the show that night.  I had better plans for the evening so I didn't see them at all.

A check back at the hostel and the room still wasn't ready so I made my way back out into the city, this time to Hyde Park.  More Australia Day festivities were going on in the park, but of more interest to me was the classic car show.  All along the east side of the park and up the road back towards Circular Quay was lined with classic cars from the various clubs in Sydney.  Also this not so classic one. 

I didn't even notice the license plate until I looked through them on the computer.  Walking up the rows of cars revealed classic English Jags. MG's, Minis and Healey's, Holdens and Australian Fords, some LHD Mustangs and Vette's, and some other assorted imports.  Farther up were the classic fire truck and bus museums' displays.  And in the center near a band playing some classic rock tunes was the winners circle.  Well, I think it was.  This one was certainly a winner I'd say.  
Minnesota plates in the windshield.  And my favorite engine sticker of the day.


After the car show I headed back to the hostel, dropped off my bags and headed out towards the Sydney Cricket Ground and the Hordern Pavilion.  But considering the weather I'll skip a head for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment