Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Destination Sydney: Bondi Beach

Since I hear it isn't 40C and a UV index of 12 where most of you are, here is a feel good post.  I went out to Bondi and few other beaches on Saturday.  Just know that it was only in the mid 80's when I was there.  And there were a few clouds. 


As far as Australian beaches are concerned, Bondi is likely the most famous.  It has one of the oldest surf life saving clubs in the world and I believe is where the World Surf Lifesaving Championships are held. 

Being just a short bus ride from Sydney, its almost a required trip.  Manly Beach is another big Sydney area beach which is north of the harbor, where as Bondi is to the south.  I hopped on a bus to Bondi Junction, figuring it was probably close enough which it was, although there were much closer buses as well.  The beach is tucked away in a small moon shaped bay with the main beach road of the town of Bondi Beach running around it. 

It had more bathing suit stores than you could count, and a number of restaurants and souvenir shops.  This one looked OK but wasn't beachy enough for me so I ended up eating at the Beach Burrito Company down the road.

The board walk area had a big pavilion with an absurdly expensive little Bondi Beach marine life museum as well as the expected bathrooms and such.  There was also a decent sized skate park which was getting a lot of use and some wall murals down on the beach.

The beach area was patrolled by the famous Life Saving Club but it was interesting how small the patrolled swim between the flags area was compared to the free run surfing areas.  It was getting crowded so I didn't leave my bag to go in, but I did walk along the water's edge.  It was a chilly 23.6C.

Leaving Bondi proper, I walked along the coastal trail down to the next set of beaches.  The trail winds along the cliff coast of New South Wales with the beaches all small bays of sand between the rocks. 

Like Bondi they had historic surfing clubs and a larger portion devoted to surfing than swimming.  I'm no expert, but the surf seemed pretty good.

Picnic and barbie areas backed up to all the beaches as well.  Eventually I turned back towards Bondi and took a bus towards another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment