Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Au-ddly Australian - UPDATED

Well, now I am back to the point of last week's post where I can't think of an odd thing.  This is a problem.  So I will discuss the grocery store.  Its probably not really odd, but it is different enough that a stumped mind can think up enough to write about.


First of all, our local grocery store that isn't specifically an Asian grocer is called Cole's.  Its on the corner of Grote St and Victoria Square.  So its on the way back from school which is nice.  The first thing about Cole's is the hours.  0000 to 2100.  I guess they restock in those short three hours.  Except Sundays when it is 11 to 5.  Or public holidays or not so public holidays like Clipsal when they change their hours.  Really they should just be 24 hours.  It would be much easier.

Second, Cole's is set up like no grocery store I have ever been too.  In the States, or at least where ever I have been shopping, most stores are the same.  In the entrance and you are in the produce section.  Maybe the deli is there too, or a florist.  Bread, frozen meals and beer are on the far side.  Well, Cole's... not so much.  Granted there are two entrances.  The main entrance is on Grote St.  The second comes in the back corner from inside the Central Market.  That is an in only.  But the main entrance dumps you into a refrigerated section, not produce.  There are hot dogs and some cuts of bacon then juice and dairy.  Opposite dairy is frozen vegetables.  Produce is back in the far corner.  Near the Central Market entrance.  Sauces and salad dressings are on the far wall as well.  Not in the middle like they should be.  The first aisle is soda and non refrigerated juices.  There is another aisle with home brew kits but no actual beer.  Aisles aren't continuous like a supermarket but broken in half, more like CVS.  So in one aisle you have soda and then beauty products on the next half of the aisle.

Needless to say, this new layout doesn't make for efficient shopping for me.  Usually I go without a plan anyways so wandering is inevitable.  But even if I do, I find myself going back and forth trying to find what might feed me for the next week.  Stock (chicken and beef) are with the spices and not the soups.  I have had a difficult time finding those before.  Contact solution is hidden away somewhere.  I don't even remember now where.  And now for some strange things in the store itself.  First, we have California oranges.  I guess that's OK.  Just seems like a long way.  Surely somewhere in Australia must have a steady supply of oranges.  California does.  Next, no chili powder.  This has been a problem for us two Americans.  I think there might be some Mexican things in the international foods section though.  Perhaps they will have some.  Of course, everything is in kilograms and not pounds or ounces.  Makes using some recipes difficult.  Coca Cola says right on it that it is 'Lovingly crafted' and 'totally irresistible.'  It is also made from cane sugar and not corn syrup.  I can taste the difference.  Coke isn't bad, but Sprite is definitely different and not always to my liking.  Finally, we have refrigerated dog food.  Its right there on the end of the meat coolers next to the kangaroo.  I'm not sure why Australians think their dogs need refrigerated food that isn't left overs.  But I guess that is what makes is Au-dd.

UPDATE - Something I forgot.  South Australia was the first state to ban the use of disposable plastic bags.  And I've never seen a paper bag.  We have canvas bags for sale at most stores.  Cole's has 'higher quality' reusable plastic bags that cost $0.30 each.  I forget the cost of a Cole's branded canvas bag.  But even at Adelaide F.C. games you receive a canvas bag for any merchandise you may purchase.    

No comments:

Post a Comment