Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Au-ddly Australian

The original Au-ddly Australian. Since its Thursday and all.  For a little while down here. For much longer up there.

Imagine Black Friday shopping. Now add haggling and store front employees throwing out prices like auctioneers with their number line backward. Put it all in one building with no meaningful differentiation between stores and that is the Central Market on Saturday afternoon. At the market are an absurd number of stores with mostly fresh produce and meats. Apparently the prices are good during the week, but on Saturday everything must go since the market is fully restocked while closed on Sunday. So mangos are 3 for 5 dollars. Some things are 99 cents a kilo, however much that is. I really need to build a MathCad sheet to tell me how much more or less all these things are than the US. There are some peculiar things at the market too. My favorite: fresh Atlantic salmon labeled as a Product of Australia. And the market has a special door straight into the back of the supermarket, so anything you couldn’t get there you can get at Cole’s. Which means Cole’s looks like everyone trying to shop before the Superbowl. And this is all every Saturday. It is all much too much to handle. I long for Beltsville Costco shoppers. In my initial overwhelmed few minutes I somehow bought a strawberries and cream roll up bread thing. As I walked by at first, it was “The last one, $5!” By the time I had thought enough to look at what this thing was it was “Last one, $3!! You sir, $3. It’s wonderful and will be perfect for you and your lady tonight. Perfect romantic evening.” And then I handed over my money and got a strawberry cream something or other and one of those confounded two dollar coins. So us 5 guys have a perfect dessert for a romantic evening.

Update - The cream cake thing was actually quite good. This week we may see if there are mint plants and limes at the market. But, we will see if I actually make it back there. There should be a dive on Saturday which will have Au-ddly Australian fish.

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious. Dad would never shop there. I had to do all the haggling in Punta Cana.

    ReplyDelete